Friday 10 February 2017

Selecting My Topic- Kashmiri Kashidakari

How I came to select Kashidakari as my topic

The last blog of mine was about my trip to Delhi Haat and how my module started. When i went there to Delhi Haat, of all the things there, one craft form really caught my eye. That was Kashidakari, the colours and the embroidery was something really beautiful to look at. I decided there and then that i would take Kashidakari as my topic.


As I got to research more about Kashidakari, I realised how old this craft form is and how beautiful it is. The thing that appealed the most to me about Kashidakari is how graceful the embroidery is with it's floral motifs designs. The pastel colours, the dark colours and the bright colours all adds to the appeal of kashidakari. The first thing that came to my mind is the graceful and heavy look it gave and reminded me of Mughal Kings for some reason. Then i got to know that this art form flourished during Mughal Reign. 

I talked to my teachers and since no other person in my class had taken this, I chose this as my topic. I collected Information from different websites, books and even went to Cannaught Place in Delhi so that i could visit the Kashmiri Stores that sell shawls and other things too of kashidakari.